Sunday 7 December 2014

BLOGMAS: DAY 6 - HEALTHYish GINGERBREAD

Hello my little bunch of Christmas elves (um that sounds a bit patronizing) I hope you are having a good weekend I have spent basically a whole 12 hours tidying, oh to be a 13 year old wanting money, which fun at least better than doing geography homework, at least I had my beloved Ed Sheeran with me to get me through the hard times that is tidying. Anyway on a happier note that meant I had plenty of time to think about blog ideas and also get some work done in the breaks, whoop whoop. All negativity can be positive you just have to look at it from a different angle…..


I made gingerbread on Thursday night and I actually made it kinda healthy in that it has no refined sugars, so I used honey instead of golden syrup, and sugar molasses instead of normal sugar, feel free to replace either of these but I just felt like using these to experiment. I hope you enjoy it because I certainly loved making it.

OK so you will be needing:
350g plain flour
1½ tbsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
100g unsalted butter
5 tbsp. honey
150g sugar molasses
1 whole stem ginger cut into small pieces


 First of all preheat your oven to 180°C, and then put all your butter and honey into a large/medium pan and heat over a low heat until the butter has just melted and it looks like this.


 At this point add the sugar molasses and stir them in until everything is combined and you have a smooth mixture that looks like this.


Now sieve in your dry ingredients, and also the egg and stem ginger, you can do this in a bowl but I live life on the edge so did this straight into the pan. Once mixed it should be thick and all come together, add more flour if it is not coming together but don’t over mix it or it will become tough and not nice. Once done it should resemble this hopefully.





Now for the fun bit, roll out the dough onto a floured counter and have fun making different shapes with cutters, Christmas cutters of course.






Once you’ve got all your shapes cut out put them on a lined baking sheet for 10-15 mins or until they are still soft to touch but slightly more brown.


Once you take them out put them on a cooling rack, and if you want to thread ribbon through them and hang them on your Christmas tree, do it now before the biscuits began to harden up.


I didn’t ice mine because it was late and they were for my Christmas fair which was the net day but feel free to put some icing on or decorate them however you like. As I said earlier they would look nice as little Christmas tree decorations or just as presents for your friends, orrrrr you could just eat them all yourself.
I hope you liked this post sorry it is late and it is technically the 7th but shhhh no one ever has to know.
Enjoy your day my sugar plum fairies,
Tavia xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment